Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sandown 10km Classic

I've been looking forward to this 10km race for some time now, because it is an internationally certified accurate 10km road race. Enough of all those (usually) too short races where your post-race happiness is short-lived.

The race's out in the suburbs, Sandown, about 45min drive out from Melbourne city. It's held on a V8 supercar race course. The Sandown Classic is held in conjunction with the Victoria 10km road championships, so we'll get to see Victoria's best zoom past at sub 3min/km pace.


Here a course map. It's considered a fast course here since it's ALMOST flat, all the other races are just insanely hilly, terrains you'll never see in Singapore. Anyway, on the back straight is a 700m long uphill. It's gradual but there's a nice strong headwind on the way up, peaking at the crest of the hill (damnit).

It was a very good day for running today. Bright and sunny, about 22-24deg. I felt fantastic, everything has been going perfectly the past few weeks (except the noise and light pollution of the construction works). I had exactly 2 days of taper and a massage and was rarring to go.

My target was to run a sub 46min 10k, but i'd be ok with 46+min. Started off really strong, with the first 5km at 22min flat. But the last 3km was hard! 1st, my right foot was sore and crampy (i think my right foot's too big for the shoe). 2nd, i had a stitch--should've eaten earlier! 3rd, i was just tired! haha. Did the last 5km in 22.50. I reckon i cld've gone faster if not for the stitch. but overall, it was a fabulous race. definately gave me alot of confidence about my running and my current form.

Oh, just as i was about to start my last lap, i was passed by the male leaders! wth. They were running sub 30mins! gosh. the fastest female won it in abt 32-33min. insane insane insane. Some of my teammates, Tom and Tyler did it in 32mins, and Sophie ran a 37.30.

Anyways we had afternoon tea post race on the grass. It was nice. I brought a bag of potato chips which i did not eat. haha. but i did eat the brownies Tom baked. hahaha. Tony's 2 sons, Simon (3 n a half years old) and Scott (5mths old) were there. They're super adorable.

Decided to snap a few candid shots during tea so i have some photos to put up here. haha. i'm not a fan of photo taking.
L to R: iylia (back facing us), Sam (standing), Jasmine, Sophie.
L to R: Alison, Dave (standing up), Ilka and Simon (greedily munching on ever single snack there)!
Tom (sitting on my L), Cam (standing up, head cut off), Iylia, Tony (standing behind).

There were 20 over of us who ran but not all are in the above photos. Team photos are the job of the team captain isn't it. haha anyway, time for some sandwiches. haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home