Saturday, October 27, 2007

5000m track race (in desert like conditions)!

Took a train to Newport with Sophie, Iylia, Tom and Alison. Very weird location for a track--100m from the coast, next to an industrial factory with a tall chimney...just a track in the middle of a grass field, with fence surrounding it. No spectators stand or anything. just pitch a tent or bring out a rug and picnic on the grass next to the track.

Conditions were tough. It was hot (31deg, tho it feels much hotter in direct sunlight), but that's fine with me. The headwind was really gusty and strong and it was incredibly dry! Runners were coughing and choking after the 1500m race!

Anyway, the program got delayed so the 5000m started at abt 4pm. Not ideal since I was hanging around in the sun for almost 3 hrs.

Everyone started the 5000m together, lasses and lads. After just 3 laps, I needed water! My throat was really dry so breathing was difficult. I was just hanging in there. I didn't feel strong or that I could push it. I was merely hanging in there and holding out till the end! Could be the lingering effects of ATB as well. Towards the end I was coughing and my throat really hurt. Finished in 21.14, more than a minute off my target time! But a HUGE PB nonetheless! In Dec last year, I did a 5km time trial at Bishan track with TAS and ran a 22.45, a PB then. haha!

But that's ok I guess--good training in tough conditions. Bring on the heat and humidity, winds and all! Nothing scares me now. haha...the gd thing about humid conditions is that breathing is easier because your throat won't hurt even in a 10k race without water.

For a lil insight into what the terrible conditions can do--Liam ran 2mins off his PB (he ran 16.24, and he usually runs 14+min--yes he an amazing runner). David P ran almost 2mins off his PB too (altho he ran a lap less due to confusion abt no. of laps left).

I hope I'll get to do another 5000m track race here before I head back to S'pore. Hopefully conditions will be better so I can run another smashing PB! heh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home