Saturday, November 17, 2007

Gatorade Triathlon Race 1 - St Kilda (2nd F20-24!)

It was an awful awful morning when I woke up at 6am! It was overcast, raining with bright flashes of lightning! not too cold though, about 22 deg. Nevertheless, I cycled 8km down to St Kilda...when I got there, I had 5min to set up transition and they were closing off the compound, and we were all marshalled to the beach for the race briefing at 745am. My wave, F20-24 was the last heat, at 8.53am! WHT, I was standing in the strong winds and rain, shivering and chattering.

Did a couple of short runs along the beach to warm up, then I swam some. The sea surface was quite chopping coz of the winds, but it was surprisingly rather warm. And I felt good in the sleeveless 2XU wetsuit...it was the perfect size for me, unlike last week's which was too big. My arms felt unrestricted and I could swim well.

I met Cam, Jo and Maddy there, so it was good! the field for this race was very strong! Many more competitors than last week's.

Finally, our wave start...just as the weather got worse and the rain got heavier...I felt really good in the water and I was pushing the swim. I reckond I swam a perfect course as well--as in the most direct route. Sighting was easy coz they had ITU style HUGE pink buoys and the HUGE bright yellow bolster shaped buoy for the corners of the triangular course.

It was a long run to transition, and the tight wetsuit was more difficult to take off than last week.

Out on the non-drafting 2 lap 20km course, I felt good until...the winds picked up with full force. Gale force. haha! The mainly crosswinds were INSANE! I was getting blown across the 3 lane course! At one point, a sudden gust of crosswind blew and I wobbled and flew a bit, so I let out a squeal/squeak. And I noticed some recreational joggers by the side turn and saw that the squeal came from a pig on a red bike. bleah! At another point, my 30+kmh speed was suddenly reduced to 20kmh with a strong gust of crosswind, that I considered stopping to hide behind a tree. I think a guy fell down...on the 2nd loop of the bike, it suddenly rained so hard it was painful!

For a flavour of the crazy bike course, Erin Densham (ITU Under 23 World Champion!!), who was the top female finisher biked 35.06 in the Elite draft-legal category. And I must add, the Elites started at 8am, when the conditions weren't as rough.

Anyway onto the run course, it was a very scenic course along the beach, with some short sharp uphills, and over road, grass and sand/gravel. The rain suddenly stopped and the sun starting peaking outta the clouds (actually by 11am, it was hot and now in the arvo, it's scorching)--that's Melbourne weather for you.

I started out fast on the run and felt good, overtook heaps of people. But then, my chest was hurting. My inhaler is actually expired. Anyway, at one point, I ran wrongly and had to turn back when I noticed I was charging into incoming runners. I didn't notice a sneaky right turn onto the beach and continued on straight on the footpath. Wonder why the marshall didn't point it out to me...

My legs starting feeling tired in the last 1km or so, but I tried to pace a girl and push it to the end...where I was greeted by a HOARD of flies...the fly population is at crisis level here. Flies like the heat and moisture--the sweaty and warm congregation of race finishers was the perfect location for the flies trying to find their way into people's eyes, ears, noses and mouths. FREAK!

Ok the official results are out!!!

SWIM: 7.03 (7th in F20-24)
T1: 1.33
BIKE: 38.21 (7th)
T2: 1.48
RUN: 21.26 (2nd fastest run in my category!!!!)
TOTAL: 1:10:12 (2nd in F20-24!!!!)

Ok, now for the most weird (and stupid) part...I decided to stay for prize presentation this time around just to make sure I collect my medal if any, though I didn't think I wld've made top 3 given the large field. I stood with Maddy near the stage during the prize presentation and...I didn't hear my name called out. I noticed the 2nd place podium was empty and assumed the girl had left...and that girl was me!? standing there like an idiot, concluding I must've finished 4th or 5th. ...WTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. and bigger WTH: 1st place winners win an Oakley Flak Jacket!!! WTF!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Last week I missed my 3rd place presentation coz I left, and this week, I stayed for the presentation and still missed collecting my prize!!! and my moment of glory. Sigh.


The race expo
Prize presentation...

Oh oh, and according to the Tri Series website, last week's ultra short run was actually 3.8km, not my estimated 3.5km--I almost can't believe I can run so fast...never underestimate yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home