Friday, March 14, 2008

Lessons Learnt

Wow it's been a long time since I last blogged! I seriously neglect my blog everytime i return home to S'pore. A quick overview of my 3.5mths in S'pore from 22 Nov-8 March:

1) Came in 4th at the SEAG--very pleased with my effort, placing and time!
2) Did a 2.5 mth internship with Fleishman-Hillard Singapore, which was a great learning experience. Very fun and nice colleagues too =)
3) Trained running with Bern, Rong, Dad and Bae on Sunday evenings--great improvements there.
4) Met up with some friends altho i spent most of my time working/sleeping
5) Got my DRIVER'S LICENSE! woohoo...
6) Spent some quality time with Clement.


So what's up this first week back in Melb:

1) Sweltering in 38deg heat
2) Submitted my exchange application to UPenn. I should know if I get accepted by next month.
3) I changed training schedule/clubs. I'm still running with Tony (MUAC), but I've joined Fluid Movements (training provider for Melbourne Triathlon Club) for swim and bike trainings.

During run trainings on Mon and Wed, I could totally feel the effects of my off-season! My legs were stiff and tense. But it got better. It's time to shake off these cobwebs! haha. WEd evening after training we all headed down to The Clyde for dinner/drinks. I had a T-bone steak and orange juice. Yum. It was great catching up with these guys, it was really fun. There were many new faces as well, those who just joined us this sem.

On Thurs morn, I left home at 5.50am to cycle down to Kew Blvd (Yarra Bend Park) for bike training. It was PITCH BLACK in the 13km loop. No lights, street lamps, nothing. Absolute darkness. I cldn't even see the coach's face while he was talking to me at the start! The only thing i cld see during the ride was the white line on the road. Insane. And it's a bumpy hilly loop in there. kinda dangerous. When the occassional car drives past, their headlights are blinding! Anyway, I was shivering like crazy despite having arm warmers on, while some other riders were in short sleeved jerseys.

Anyway, it's a small world. Sean Foster, the head coach, used to coach Ani Katrina Deleon (i think that's how her name's spelt) from Philippines, whenever she was in Melbourne.

On Fri morn, I cycled down to SYS for swim squad, about 5.5km from my place. The session was really tiring, but good. The one downside, was that the 25m indoor pool was 2.2m deep all round! So everyone has to cling onto the lane rope/pool deck in between sets.

Yuppers, anyway I'll be joining them for a long ride-run down beach road tmr. I hope I can keep up!

Last night I met Jansen for dinner. We had Jap food followed by some dessert at Brunetti's =)

Anyway, this arvo I headed down to Word Bookstore, a Christian bookstore in the city. I bought a Bible and 3 Christian books--Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado, A Love Worth Giving by Max Lucado and Finding God's Path Through Your Trials by Elizabeth George. Sounds like quite alot to read, but I figured it's more meaningful to read these instead of thrashy magazines like Cosmo.

Sometimes, I'd browse these lifestyle magazines to try to answer my questions on relationships, dating, life, self-improvement, etc. But why consult these unreliable sources when we have a loving God who cares and understands, and whose word is true and never fails?

While in S'pore, during some very draining and exasperating times, I met someone very inspiring, someone whose actions and words shone of God's grace and heart, someone who gave very good advice from the Bible. It made me realise that God puts me through trials to teach me some lessons: to be patient, to keep praying and to trust and depend on Him completely. And about LOVE.

I remember at some point, I was on the brink of giving up and thinking I'd tried everything I could possibly do to turn things around, yet nothing was happening. Maybe it was time to simply DO NOTHING. To just surrender to God and leave it in his hands, trusting that He will guide me through, and His answers are wiser than my prayers. And when I trust Him, He works miracles and answers prayers. I read in the Daily Bread, that we can plant the seeds, water it, whatever, but it is God who makes it grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home